joi, 25 septembrie 2014

REVIEW - Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo

Synopsis:

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.


REVIEW:

I had a small problem at the beggining, with this book, because I was reading and couldn't get into the story. The first chapters are told in a way that for me was confuse and I felt like I was thrown away and not pushed into the novel. But I took a little break, a few minutes, and then tried again. And it was better.

I won't talk about what's happening, because is the second book, and reading now the synopsis I see how much gaves away. I, personally, haven't read it before I started reading; I preffer to find out with the characters at the right moment.

I'm happy that new characters are brought and the old ones are present too; from the new ones I liked Nikolay. He has a complex character and he's so witty. He can change things, as he wants, and tries to solve things with words before starting a fight. This is an art too - to achieve your goal, making the other to think that he'll win, but he's gonna lose. Plus, it was very interesting, through the story, to find out more and more about him, and I can say that he has a ginormous life. The most irritating character was Mal. Let's say that sometimes I understand him, but not so much. He just want to have a simple and happy life and if it's possible that Alina stays with him. 

Well, it's not working, because now she has a lot on her head. And you're not a bit egoist forcing her to leave the world that she's from? I mean, yeah, Alina has bad moments too, but she tries to be good to everyone, to help them, she tries to change, to learn more and become stronger, to be able to fight. So, I don't get it, why are you upset. That she has no time to stay with you talking a lot and that you are saying that she changed... well, excuse me, but with responsability and going to war, people change.

Even if I like Alina and Nikolay, I can't say that I gave up to my love for the Darkling and somehow I was happy when he appeared. He is bad and crazy but he's not charming? Or am I the only one that thinks he's hot?:))

I end this review saying that I liked this book, is different comparing it to the first one, because it has more fights, intrigues, strategies, running, defense and many other things; and I can't wait to read the last one. And to find out who's gonna die and who's gonna live and how the story ends. And if you haven't started this trilogy, then I'm sorry for you, but you're losing all the fun.

5/5

0 comentarii: