miercuri, 6 noiembrie 2013

REVIEW - Witchling (Curse of Kin #1) by Ari Harper


Synopsis:

Nera is a normal teenage girl living in Ireland, or so she thought until she discovers the family secret.. now her world is forever changed.

Descended from a long line of witches, she discovers she is the one who has to stop the curse that has taken the life of every girl before her.

And if that isn't enough, she must learn to use magic from the man called Bones. He is the son of Mari, Queen of the Witches...and a god. It is Bones who has been entrusted to teach her the skills she needs to stay alive, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have an uncanny knack for pushing her buttons.

Can Nera succeed and resist the charms of the man who gets under her skin at every opportunity?


Review:

The book was ok, fast read, light, sometimes I liked it more, sometimes not. If you don’t think to other series or books about witchies you’ll think the book is good, but if you think to other books, with kind of the same idea, you’ll think it’s not original, has nothing new, it’s the old story with the girl that finds out that is a witch, and she has powers, and she needs to train cause the evil is out there, and she needs to save the world. 

Kind of the same with the characters, I mean we have the one who needs help, and the world, the friends who are supporting her, the guy who would teach her, and in the same they don’t get along no matter what, the secrets that shows up and who knew that her family is so messed up. In both ways, good and bad. What made me angry, passing the stereotypes of the story, is the main character.

Nera everytime is trying to be the best, to make everything good, without help, without listening, but she wants someone be behind her, protect her when things get f. up. She make some scenes, runing and crying and yelling when she has no right or when she doesn’t accept the situation. Even is the last thing that can be done, even everyone have something to lose too. I don’t know, she seemed so childish and I-don’t-care but I-want-to-be-the-hero, but leave-me-alone, but teach-me. She gave me headaches and made me sigh so many times. She has no right to be angry cause the story is fells to her and she can’t be a teenager and fall in love and bla bla. I mean the world needs you, so you need to do something, and not crying your eyes out like everytime the situation goes bad. 

I can’t say that I liked the characters or not in a special way, but I think Bones is nice, I mean he’s serious and calm, and try to teach Nera and help her, even she is like a child. Sometimes I wish I’d be so calm when people make me angry. I would like to know more about him and his life.

The „big battle” was, I don’t know, like it seemed more big and important when they speaked about it, then when happened. And I’m telling this for varie motives.

I don’t want you to understand that this is a bad book, cause it isn’t, but for me it has nothing special, new or different. I read other books and series about witchies and the story is the same. I enjoyed it, is ok, but just that. If you want to read it then try. I wait the next book and maybe will be better.

 3/5

0 comentarii: