duminică, 5 noiembrie 2023

REVIEW/RECENZIE - The Writing Retreat by Julia Bartz

 Synopsis:

Five attendees are selected for a month-long writing retreat at the remote estate of Roza Vallo, the controversial high priestess of feminist horror. Alex, a struggling writer, is thrilled.

Upon arrival, they discover they must complete an entire novel from scratch, and the best one will receive a seven-figure publishing deal. Alex’s long-extinguished dream now seems within reach.

But then the women begin to die.

Trapped, terrified yet still desperately writing, it is clear there is more than a publishing deal at stake at Blackbriar Estate. Alex must confront her own demons – and finish her novel – to save herself.

REVIEW:

I wanted to read this for a while and honestly I was really excited; I mean it's a thriller book, it has a competition and it's with writers? Yes, please. 

I know that this book has mixed reviews and some say is the best book ever, while others are disappointed or they say that the idea was amazing, but the execution left to be desired or the characters were less than they were expecting. And even though, after I finished I thought "this was fantastic, I don't get the criticism", now after I stayed a bit and gathered my thoughts, I agree with them.The idea was good and I think that the book has some strong points, such as atmosphere and suspense and the twists were interesting, but at the same time most of these twists were... too over the top?

 Like it gave me the feeling that 'The Writing Retreat' tried to be a serious book and be gripping and scary and all the things, but then the more shocking it became and reveals and deaths came, the harder it was to believe that something like this would really happen. So... I felt like I fell out of the story, I wasn't invested in the characters anymore and I wanted it just to get to the end so I can move on - something I never want from a book that I truly enjoy. 

Talking about characters, honestly none impressed me and yes, they all have been interesting to read from, but none felt complex or more than unidimensional or individualized and honestly I couldn't say who is who if you asked me. And it's sad because it was potential there. But I guess this is subjective and as I saw them as just sketches of people, you might say otherwise. And because none felt realistic to me, I felt nothing as I read what they went through and this being a thriller and a horror, weighted even more. For me is important to connect to the characters and with these... it felt like we were on different parts of the world, thousands and thousands of miles between us. 

Did I enjoy 'The Writing Retreat'? Yes, I did. Do I think is worth the small hype it has? No, not really. Would I recommend it? Yeah, if you like more over the top thrillers and if you want drama and suspense and closed in mysteries and you don't care how crazy it can get and you don't mind suspending your disbelief over and over and over... But if you want a realistic take on a thriller or on this idea, then this is not it. Which was a huge disappointment. I expected this to be gritty and deadly and murderous, I expected selfish people and secrets and gory scenarios, but I didn't expect to go so far in the fantastic realm that even for a fiction piece to make me think "damn, this is so crazy that it doesn't hold water". Yet, some love it and for this exact aspect so, it's up to you to see how you feel about it. 

I gave it 3 stars and I'll read more from this author. Overall this was ok, I'm happy I've read it, but no way this is a book I'll remember for long or I'll consider a favorite, sadly. 

RECENZIE:

Am vrut să citesc asta de ceva vreme și sincer am fost foarte entuziasmată; adică este o carte thriller, e despre o competiție și e cu scriitori? Da, te rog.

Știu că această carte are recenzii mixte și unii spun că este cea mai bună carte scrisă vreodată, în timp ce alții sunt dezamăgiți sau spun că ideea a fost uimitoare, dar execuția a lăsat de dorit sau personajele au fost mai slab scrise decât se așteptau. Și chiar dacă, după ce am terminat m-am gândit „a fost fantastică, nu înțeleg criticile”, acum, după ce am stat puțin și mi-am adunat gândurile, sunt de acord cu ele. Ideea a fost bună și cred că cartea are unele puncte tari, cum ar fi atmosfera și suspansul, și răsturnările de situație și dezvăluirile au fost interesante, dar în același timp majoritatea acestor întorsături au fost... prea exagerate?

 De parcă mi-a dat impresia că „The Writing Retreat” a încercat să fie o carte serioasă și captivantă și înfricoșătoare și toate astea, dar apoi, cu cât a devenit mai șocantă și au curs dezvăluirile și morțile, cu atât era mai greu să cred că ceva de genul ăsta chiar s-ar întâmpla. Așa că... am simțit că am ieșit din poveste, nu mi-a mai păsat de personaje și am vrut doar să ajungă la sfârșit, ca să pot merge mai departe - ceva ce nu vreau niciodată cu o carte care îmi place cu adevărat.

Vorbind despre personaje, sincer niciunul nu m-a impresionat și da, toate au fost interesante de citit, dar niciunul nu a fost complex sau mai mult decât unidimensional sau individualizat și sincer nu aș putea spune cine este cine dacă m-ai întreba. Și este trist pentru că  aveau potențial. Dar cred că acest lucru este subiectiv și, dacă eu le-am văzut doar ca pe niște schițe, voi ați putea spune altfel. Și pentru că niciunul nu mi s-a părut realist, nu am simțit nimic în timp ce au citit prin ce au trecut, iar acesta fiind un thriller și o carte de groază, a contat și mai mult. Pentru mine este important să mă "conectez" la personaje și cu acestea... am simțit că suntem în diferite părți ale lumii, cu mii și mii de kilometri între noi.

Mi-a plăcut 'The Writing Retreat'? Da. Cred că merită mica popularitate pe care o are? Nu, nu chiar. Aș recomanda-o? Da, dacă îți plac mai mult thrillerele oarecum exagerate și dacă vrei dramă și suspans și mistere ce au loc în locuri izolate și nu-ți pasă cât de nebunește poate deveni totul și nu te deranjează că totul încetează să mai pară credibil, iar și iar și iar... Dar dacă vrei o interpretare realistă a unui thriller sau a acestei idei, atunci nu este asta. Ceea ce a fost o mare dezamăgire. Mă așteptam să fie crudă, mortală și sângeroasă, mă așteptam la oameni egoiști și la secrete și la scenarii sângeroase, dar nu mă așteptam să meargă atât de departe în tărâmul fantasticului, încât chiar și pentru o carte de ficțiune să mă facă să mă gândesc „la naiba, e prea de tot și n-are niciun sens”. Cu toate acestea, unii o iubesc și chiar pentru acest aspect, așa că depinde de tine să vezi cum o să ți se pară.

I-am dat 3 stele și voi citi mai multe de la autoare. Una peste alta, a fost ok, mă bucur că am citit-o, dar în niciun caz aceasta este nu o carte de care îmi voi aminti mult timp sau o voi considera o preferată de-a mea, din păcate.

0 comentarii: