joi, 6 iulie 2023

REVIEW - His & Hers by Alice Feeney

 Synopsis:

There are two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, His & Hers. Which means someone is always lying.

When a woman is murdered in Blackdown, a quintessentially British village, newsreader Anna Andrews is reluctant to cover the case. Detective Jack Harper is suspicious of her involvement, until he becomes a suspect in his own murder investigation. Someone isn’t telling the truth, and some secrets are worth killing to keep.

His & Hers is a twisty, smart, psychological thriller. A gripping tale of suspense, told by expertly-drawn narrators that will keep readers guessing until the very end.

REVIEW:

This is my third book from the author (after Rock, Paper, Scissors and Sometimes I Lie) and I think is one of my favorites. And for sure I'll read everything that Alice Feeney has out or is gonna publish in the future.

I loved how 'His & Hers' was written and that we got multiple perspectives. All of them were engaging and I was glued to the pages from the very beginning. And even though I liked one more than the others, they all were interesting and I was happy to follow and see what happened and how the things would unravel.

Without being spoilery, I liked seeing how Anna and Jack dealt with the whole situation and how they tried to figure out both the crimes, but also to deal with the relationships between them two or with the other characters in the story. It was fun to see that in the end no character was good or bad, but just caught in some shitty circumstances.

Even though, yes, there was one specific character that I thought was mostly living the life that this person chose and the consequences of their actions were rippling through their life and also the lives of other people. And god, I felt... for a moment I felt like they got away so easily considering all that they've done. But, oh well. Like them and all that part from the book made me so... angry.

But in the end everyone gets what they deserve, right? Like, I can't say I was happy, but it was definetly very satisfying to see everything develop and unravel and even when I thought it was over, that last reveal. I was shocked, surprised, blown away and also it made me laugh, weirdly. Because it was always there and I thought of everything and everyone, but not that. 

Going back to the characters and the plot - I liked how no one was perfect and everyone had flaws, but also they tried to be better and move through life, sometimes making good choices and other times fucking it over, knowingly or not. Also, it might sound weird, but this felt realistic and also like karma served right, even though it was after such a long time. I don't exactly agree with killers or think 'ah, yes, that character deserved to die or be tortured', but in this case I'll make an exception. Because the reason wasn't crazy or irrational or something done on a whim... no. It was thought throughout, it was planned and I feel like everyone deserved what came after them. Maybe some even got even less.

'His & Hers' is for sure one of my favorite reads of this year and I don't think I will forget it too soon. It's one of those books that deserves the hype and I can understand how why everyone was so blown away by this book and by that ending. Alice Feeney delivered with this one and for me this will be a thriller and a book that I'll always consider a favorite.

5/5

0 comentarii: